Sunday, November 29, 2015

Salt of the Earth: Bert Tadashi Yoshida (New Pics)

Here are the latest family pics. Amy said these came via Grandpa and eventually made their way to Uncle Bert.

The occasion was Uncle Bert's service, and the family meal was in Torrance.

I have been thinking of what to say about Uncle, and have to be honest that I'm not ready yet. But I think there are a few things coming into focus. For now, I'll just say that when I think of Uncle, I always remember him smiling. WWII and a good ole' blue collar body and fender LA boy, the kind that used to go to Rams and Lakers games once upon a time. 

A while back I was talking to an old college buddy who'd recently come back from services for a family friend. This friend was also WWII, but it was the description he gave of this man that resonated; he said their friend embodied what made America great: sacrifice, integrity and hard work. That's Uncle Bert and the Yoshidas. Pure salt of the earth.

What would we have been without this kind of people?
 

When there was doubt, these were id'd by Auntie Kathy, so if anyone has more info, let me know. Auntie thought the one above is Auntie Nellie.


Auntie Frances. The photo is out of focus.


Auntie Kathy.


Auntie Kathy on the move.


Who's this? In the comments below, Kim says it's Warren, but I could have sworn Warren said it's not him.


Judie.


Judie.


Auntie Kathy. What a great pic.


Auntie Ross and Judie.


One of my favorites: Ross, Ma (Beti), Kathy, Frances. What's amusing to me is Ma, barefoot like a country girl.



Of all the photos, I wish I had pristine copies of these two. Evidently, Auntie Frances is part French as she took the guillotine to herself. First one: Frances's body, Ma (Beti), Kathy, and Ross. Second: Ross, Kathy, Ma, Frances.


And the one that was a true find for Auntie Beti's son; Auntie Beti and Auntie Kathy.


2 comments:

  1. jp - the pics came out great! The little boy is Warren. So good to see u & everyone yesterday, even on such a solemn occasion. I hope the next get-together will be a happy celebration! XO - Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim! Not bad for photos of photos, eh? You know, I for got to say that you can click on the photo of choice, wait for it to load and then enlarge it.

    Always great to see you cuz. I have audio from yesterday but have to go through it and then ask whomever I was speaking with if it'd be okay to publish. Sorry if this offends some, but I was experimenting verite' style, but don't worry, I will ask permission. It's a ways off as editing takes a while, and frankly my plate's full.

    Last, it was good to share an extended convo with you, and I really appreciate your thoughts. You're a good egg, Kim, or should I call you "Granny" now?

    -jp

    ReplyDelete